The BionX systems have been refined and are better than ever. We offer 3 different BionX systems for cargo bikes: D500, S350DX, and S350DT.
The D-series motor is extremely sporty, lightweight and powerful –resulting in an ebike with the ride and feel like a bicycle. This is the top-of-the-line system from BionX and is ideal for cyclists needing to tackle large loads, big hills, or both.
- Nominal power: 200W (AU & UK), 250W (EU), 500W (NA)
- Torque: 25/50 Nm (18.4/36.9lb-ft)
- Weight: 7.3kg (16.1 lb)
- Brushless, gearless
- Generate mode for energy recuperation
- Integrated torque sensor
- currently available for 700c or 650B wheels (650B works great on Bullitt cargo bikes!)
S350 DX – $2100*
The S 350 DX offers great range and zippy feel and is available for a range of wheel sizes. We love this system on the EdgeRunner!
- 65 mi. (105 km)
- Battery: Li-Ion / 48V / 8.8 Ah / 423 Wh
- DC Output: Yes
- 6.6/29.5 lb.ft. (9.0/40.0 Nm)
- Weight (system): 16.1 lb. (7.3 kg)
S350 DT – $1800*
Similar in ride and feel to the S350DX but with a smaller battery. A great system for those on a budget.
- Range*: 50 mi. (80 km)
- Battery: Li-Ion / 48 V / 6,6 Ah / 317 Wh
- Torque (nom./max.): 6.6/29.5 lb.ft. (9.0/40.0 Nm)
- Weight (system): 14.1 lb. (6.8 kg)
We have several cargo bike options from Bullitt and Xtracycle that come equipped with the BionX. Or, if you have a bike you love but need a system installed, or you want to build a custom bike with BionX, we can help with that too.
*All BionX systems purchased and installed at Splendid Cycles will require a $100 install charge. The prices is for the BionX kit only. Most bikes could also require additional parts above and beyond the price of the kit in order to adapt the system to the bicycle. The $100 install charge covers the initial professional installation and free warranty and software up date services for 2 years from the purchase of the BionX system.
More about BionX
BionX continues to innovate and refine their systems. The BionX systems are pedal assist, meaning they operate without the use of a throttle. Instead of a throttle, the system senses that you are pedaling and gives you some assistance.
The rider can control the amount of assistance by choosing one of four assistance levels on the small LCD screen mounted to the handlebars. While some electric assist systems give a herky-jerky feel of power-on power-off sensation, the BionX is a smooth operator while providing plenty of horsepower to push a bike or cargo bike up steep hills.
Regenerative Mode. One of the really cool attributes of all BionX systems is their re-generative mode: that is the ability of the system to charge the battery on downhills or when braking. There are 2 ways to utilize this feature.
1)Every time you pull the brake levers the system first turns the assist off but then turns the motor into an alternator and starts putting power back into the battery just like you find on a hybrid car. So instead of wasting the kinetic energy of slowing a bike in motion, the BionX systems seek to capture the momentum and extend the range of the battery.
2) Another way you can utilize the re-gen is to engage the re-gen by switching it on for longer downhills. This is the preferred way so you don’t have to ride the brakes all the way down a hill but instead let the motor slow the speed of the bike while charging the battery. Far from a gimmick, the BionX regeneration mode works with reports of one Splendid Cycles customer getting 70+ miles out of one charge on a Bullit cargo bike simply by not being in too much of hurry, using the lower levels of assistance on the flats, and attempting to capture as much energy back into the battery on the descents ….AMAZING wouldn’t you say?
Fun to ride. The beautiful thing with this system is that it still feels and rides like a bike. It retains the best aspects of bicycling: the exercise, the feeling of wind through your hair, and the silent beauty (yes, the BionX is virtually silent) of moving down the road at a moderate speed. Realize that you still have to pedal (just not always as hard as you would without assist). We find that a bike with a Bionx system installed is a practical idea for many…and imminently appropriate for the heavier duty applications like cargo bikes meant for family hauling or work.
But don’t take our word for it, drop by and take a BionX equipped bike for a test ride and see for yourself.